I can haz KHEER! (Instant Pot Indian Rice Pudding)
Most people probably go to Indian restaurants for the lovely delicious curries and entrees…weirdo that I am I mainly go for two things: the fresh-from-the-oven naan, and the kheer, a delicious soupy cardamom-spiced rice pudding. I’ve attempted to make it time and time again, and it’s never right. So I finally gave up.
Till now. When my friend Beena told me how a lot of Indian cooking not only is better in but depends on a pressure cooker, I figured it was time to try again.
It worked. Easy. Delicious.
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/3 cup sliced, chopped, or slivered pistachios or almonds (my daughter is allergic to pistachios, which is why we never to go Indian restaurants as a family)
- 1/4 cup raisins if you want (I don’t care for them in my rice pudding)
- Place rice and milk into Instant Pot
- Cook 20 minutes on high pressure on manual, then let pressure release naturally (about 15-20 minutes).
- Open lid. Stir; rice will be very soupy. Stir in sugar, cardamom, and nuts.
- Let cool; it will thicken as it stands
That’s it. (Although I bet a splash of rosewater would be lovely…)
This was incredibly easy–I will make this again and again. I can haz kheer! At home! On my own!