Instant Pot Chicken Curry
Tonight’s entry in the Instant Pot experimentation…and my first dive into even semi-authentic Indian cooking. I started with this recipe from Skinnytaste.com…and then changed it a whole lot. (But it looks delicious as is!)
- 1-2 tbs vegetable oil (I used 1 tbs oil and 1 tbs butter)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbs curry powder, preferably homemade (I used Alton Brown’s recipe, but without the cayenne so as not to scare my kids)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 large head cauliflower
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- On Sauté setting, heat oil. Sauté diced onion till soft.
- Add curry powder and stir to coat the onions and bring out the fragrance
- Add chicken thighs and vegetables, stir to coat with spices
- Add water and coconut milk; stir
- Set Instant Pot on “Manual” for 15 minutes; wait till cycle is finished. (In the meantime, either be glad that you made some nice basmati rice in your IP earlier, or bummed that you didn’t and make some in some other appliance, like a pot on your stove…)
- Quick-release the steam, then taste for seasoning (I added a little salt at the end.)
- Stir a little of the hot liquid into your plain yogurt, then stir the yogurt into the curry.
- Serve over hot rice.
This was completely delicious; the curry seasoning was very very mild and a little sweet, but you could use whatever you’d like to season it. Tomatoes would be nice in this too, if you didn’t have anti-tomato kids like me.