When Experiments are Happy (Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal? YES!)
Baked Oatmeal has been one of my favorite go-to portable breakfast foods for a couple of years. I have made it with applesauce, with bananas, with frozen-fresh raspberries, with all kinds of possible fruits and purees.
So tonight, when I realized I wanted to make some, and there was still half a cup of cooked sweet potato in the fridge I had no idea what to do with, I thought “hey! What could go wrong?” After making the recipe and tasting the result, I can only say, “not a damn thing.” Delicious.
So here’s this variation:
Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal
- 1.5 cups oatmeal
- 1/8 cup oat bran (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- Few shakes cinnamon, ginger, and/or nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (or more!) crushed almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or other dried fruit, like cranberries, currants, raisins, blueberries, whatever) (add last)
Spread in 9×9 greased baking dish.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Let cool. Cut into squares.
Seriously good stuff. I know what I’m eating on the train tomorrow.