Yet another snack cake: Leftover Oatmeal Applesauce Cake
Okay, here’s another one–first it was the pancakes, tonight it was a new snack cake. Also moist, also delicious, amazing.
Check this one out:
Leftover Oatmeal Applesauce (or pumpkin or banana) Cake
In a bowl, mix:
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal (regular or steel cut)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce or other pureed fruit (I wonder if yogurt would work here?)
- 3 tsp neutral oil or melted butter
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar (depending on sweetness of your fruit; go 1/2 cup for pumpkin, less for banana, and with applesauce it depends how sweet yours is!)
- 1 cup white or whole wheat flour (or a combination)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon (or other spice mix–pumpkin or apple pie spices in general would be good)
- up to 2/3 cup added raisins or other dried fruits, nuts, or even chocolate chips if you’re feeling decadent
Bake at 350 degrees in greased 9×9 baking dish for about 40 minutes.
Again, very easy, very moist and yummy, and mostly good calories especially if you cut way back on the sugar.
This makes me wonder if one could use frozen or fresh fruit in this recipe, or if it would be too moist…I may have to give it a shot. I’ll report back if I do, of course.