Preparing for the Feast…
The Saturday before Thanksgiving.
This morning I cleaned out the fridge of all the overdue-verging-on-science-experiments lurking in there to make room for the free range organic local turkey that should be delivered in the next hour or so. And I have my shopping list prepared for tomorrow. So…pretty much all set, and I can’t wait.
This is what’ll be on our table Thursday:
- Port wine basted turkey, with sage-and-sausage stuffing laced with chopped apples, celery, and dried cranberries. (The port makes a fantastic gravy…)
- Garlic smashed potatoes (too lazy to peel and whip, and we like ‘em this way anyhow.)
- Bourbon sweet potatoes
- Cranberry-orange relish
- Sauteed haricots beans
- Herb/garlic drop biscuits
- Apple pie (with oatmeal crumb topping)
- Pumpkin pie (the no-frills version from the pumpkin can)
- Chamomile-Peppermint tea to settle our stomachs afterward!
The pie thing is sort of ridiculous, really–there are only four of us in the family, and the kids prefer apple, and my husband and I both really like pumpkin…so I try to make fairly low-sugar healthful versions of each, and we eat them for breakfast for the next couple of days.
So…what’s going to be on your feast this Thanksgiving?